I have a vintage sausage machine that my dad let me bring when we recently moved from Sydney. It's so special to me as my love for cooking came from my dad, and he used to make sausages with me from the age of 2 (see the pic attached) using this machine. It's a beautiful stainless steel, red machine that looks so pretty in my new big kitchen (still getting used to having so much space up here)!
It's super important to me. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to producers. I love knowing the back story of who has created it, why they started and how they do it.
I love shopping seasonally, directly from producers, and challenge myself to use everything that's in the fridge. I'm a regular at New Brighton Farmers Markets, so Mondays are always like a Master Chef Mystery Box Challenge in my house and I love it!
Alaska by Maggie Rogers
Slow cooked pineapple pulled pork, served as a Mexican spread for my kinfolk. Think loads of bowls of pickled green chillies, mashed avocado, pineapple and coriander salsa, quinoa, salad, diced Coopers Shoot tomatoes...
- 1 pork shoulder (1.5-2kg)
- ½ medium pineapple, chopped (fresh – generally available all year around from QLD)
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder / flakes or chipotle chilli powder if you have it
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ bunch coriander, roots & leaves chopped separately
- 2 cups (500ml) water or chicken stock
- Yoghurt (natural dairy or coconut)
Salad to Serve (per serve):
- ½ cup cooked rice or quinoa
- 1 cup leafy greens (salad leaves or kale / spinach)
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, chopped
- 4-6 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ avocado
- Squeeze lime
- Pinch of the reserved coriander leaves
Optional: the kernels from ½ a cob of corn, and sliced jalapeno or green chilli.
Make a paste by combining spices, salt, pepper and olive oil. Rub onto all sides of the pork. Place pineapple and water into slow cooker, then add pork with the fat side up. Slow cook for 6 hours on low.
Prepare salad in a bowl with warm rice or quinoa.
Remove pork from slow cooker, discard fat and use a fork to shred the meat. Add a palm sized-amount of pork to each plate, then top with avocado, coriander leaves and a dollop of yoghurt.